As The Wetu Turns

Please pardon the interruption of this blog. Visit our blog page, where the conversation will continue from both familiar voices and new bloggers on many topics related to Plimoth Plantation!

Exploring Plimoth Plantation's Wampanoag Indigenous Program

Hawks Hang out and Hunting around Plimoth Plantation!

January 16th, 2010 by Tim

Hey Everyone,

We are seeing lots of hawks here at Plimoth Plantation.  I  will show you some pictures of  hawks I took here at Plimoth Plantation .  We  have seen a lot hawks around especially since we have closed to the public this winter.

One of the reasons for seeing  more Hawks is its winter and the tree’s are bare no leafs.   It is also so quite around here too the mice and other rodants are moving around our pathways and sites with out any people to scare them away.   Its easy for the hawks to see them run around on the white snow.

The other day I was talking to some of the CID Education staff  in the visitor center on the second floor of the building.  The second floor over looks the Wampanoag Home-site.   I just happen to look out the window and what did I see a white object in a tree in the Wampanoag home-site what was it?  it was the white chest of a Red Tailed hawk, I think  it was a big Male.  He was a foot or more tall.

When I looked closer out the window what did I see it  was another Red tail Hawk closer then the other hawk.  They were about 20 feet away from each other on the tops of evergreen tree’s.  They were Watching each other.   The second hawk was smaller and Is back was facing us and you could see that bright red tail very well.

I thought they might be a matting pair hunting together and maybe they were.   I saw the big hawk fly down to the ground out of my view,  just then the smaller hawk followed after the big hawk maybe they had a meal together.  I really wish I could see them but the trees hide them.  If I had my camera I might of got a picture of them In the trees.

On 1/15/2010 I was going to meet one of the CID Artisons (Mike.F.) in their parking lot.   When I pulled in to the lot in my truck  Mike.F. and Brian.B. told me about a hawk that  flew down a few minutes ago and picked off a squirrel off some logs and had it back behind the logs and go take a look.  I quietly went around the logs and their he was still trying to kill his meal he look at me and pined his meal to the ground.

I was told by Brian.B. the squirrel was giving the hawk a good fight when he saw it but when I got their hawk had the squirrel pined down.   It was so awesome!  I got some picture but I think they might be a little much to show you,  just in case young one are reading this.   Here are some pictures I can show you  hope you like them.

hawk

Heres a hawk on the roof of a Pilgrim house in the Village.

048

Here’s another hawk in a tree by one of our buildings .  This is a great photo look you can see his claw , he let me walk right under him to get this picture.  What a great Bird after I took this picture he flew away right over my head so cool.

Well hope you like the pictures of the hawks, If I get to take more photos of hawk this winter  I will post them on the blog.

See Ya!

Tim

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to “Hawks Hang out and Hunting around Plimoth Plantation!”

1. dan says:

cool pics tim! e-mail me the others, i’d like to see them. did you get any of my e-mails? you must be busy. talk to you soon!

2. Tim says:

Hey dan,

I got your e mail been busy I will call you. I will send the other picture or you can go to my facebook account and see them!

3. dan says:

it’s ok, no worries. it’d be great to hear from you!

4. Barbara says:

Tim, thanks for the information about wildlife at the home site, and the photos.

What does CID stand for?

Are you having more snow this winter than usual?

5. Tim says:

Hey Barbara,

CID- is short for Colonial Intepretive Department

WIP- is Short for Wampanoag Indigenous Program

just Plimoth Plantation Talk thanks barbara.

6. Barbara says:

Thanks.

I’ve read that Wampanoags lived near the shore in places like Patuxet during the summer to raise corn and fish, and moved inland to hunt when winter was coming on, bringing the mats that covered their wetus and leaving the wooden frames in place for the next summer. Is this right? So during the winter the wetus we’re seeing covered with snow would more likely have been just frames?

7. Tim says:

Hey Barbara,
    Your right the natives would move from the cost inland
    about 1 to 3 miles for winter. They would take the mats off and leave the bare frames of their summer homes and return the next year there are some bare frames on the blog too you can see. The wetus you are seeing on the blog are coverd with tree bark those are winter homes and would be keep together year round. Those homes would be inland but our museum just happends to be by the coast thats why you see it.

8. Barbara says:

Very interesting. Hope it’s all right to keep asking questions. I’ve got lots of ‘em! Here’s another one. Why did the Wampanoags move inland to hunt in colder weather? Couldn’t they have hunted near the shore? Even with the cornfields, wouldn’t there have been plenty of deer and turkeys around? Was it something about the storms? Was the weather worse right on the coast?

9. Tim says:

Barbara,

Nope it great to get your questions ask away. Ya the Wampanoag moved inland into wooded valleys for protection from the cold winds and the weather by the coast also to be closer to the animals. The Wampanoag cleared the coast line to plant, so that there was no where for the aniamls to live. If the animals came near the wampanoag garden they were easy for the wampanoag to cacth thats why they stayed away for the most part. The Wampanoag cleared about a mile inland for planting crops. thanks great Question!

10. Golf Cart Steve says:

Hi Tim,
    Great article on the hawks. I didn’t think that squirrels would be prey, but it makes sense.

11. CinemaRick says:

Hey Tim,
    Just a quick note to say how much I enjoy your blogs. I check them every day. I’m Looking forward to March 20.

About 2 years ago, I was walking the dog in the back 40 when I saw the same thing with a hawk and squirrel. Don’t know what type of hawk, but he picked him off a pine branch and flew off. The whole thing happened in a matter of seconds. I guess I was looking at the right place at the right time.

Regards,
    Rick

12. donna nelson says:

HI, Tim,

I love all the photographs of the site at winter — and of these hawks. I’ve enjoyed all the blogs and the comments.

I have a few hawks that nest close to my home. I am amazed sometimes how close they settle on a low branch of a tree as I and other people walk by on a well used road through a local park. I almost hope they will fly away as I walk closer to them — those talons and beaks look huge and dangerous — but often two of them stay and I quietly walk by — my heart beating a bit faster — as I admire them; they always look quite fierce — except perhaps when crows or smaller birds chase them off.

13. Beverly says:

Hi Tim,

Do you know where in Plymouth or Cedarville, the Herring Pond Plantation was located? Was it closer to Bourndale or the 4 corners of Cedarville? My grandparents owned property on Herring Pond Road in Cedarville and part of my research says “Herring Pond Plantation” was in the area. Your help is appreciated.

Beverly