The Embroiderer's Story

Getting Close to The Finish

December 15th, 2008 by Tricia

I thought you might like to see the left front and how close to being finished this
piece is.  Impressive is all I can say about it.  There are areas where the spangles
are now being filled in between the embroidery.  We had some extra visitors on
Friday to help us.  Actually, they came to talk about a possible visit by their
organization to the project.  But since we are all about inclusion and getting this
project done, we sat them down with needle and thread and had them start to
embroider on the pieces, adding spangles (also called paillettes or oes).

A few weeks ago we were going to have some close photos taken of the motifs and
so needed to add our first spangles with multiple stitchers.  So we were faced with
the question – where and how many per inch.  With spangles, its not a question of
too little or too many, but the number per inch.  We wouldn’t want to have one part
of the jacket have a much higher density of spangles than another.  So to make
sure that didn’t happen, we took the master pattern repeat and drew red dots in all
the places that we wanted spangles.  That is to be used as a guide to sew them on.

Tags: , , , ,

9 Responses to “Getting Close to The Finish”

1. Jen says:

Are there any January of Feb gold stitching sessions planned?

2. Lynn says:

It’s really beautiful!

3. Colleen says:

Wow! Are those little sparkly bits the oes? Can you post a macro photo, showing the trefoil leaf and the oes around it? It’s PRETTY!!!!!!!!!

4. Mary Corbet says:

Oooooh. WOW. It’s unbelievably gorgeous! Aren’t you PROUD of it???

Any plans for starting the birds soon?

Thanks for posting this!

5. coral-seas says:

Oh my Gosh!!

Impressive is one word for it. Gorgeous is an other.

CA

6. Devon Thein says:

I would like to draw everyone’s attention to the very favorable review of the show English Embroidery 1580-1700: Twixt Art and Nature, that appeared in the New York Times today.

The details of the symposium to be held Jan. 23 are posted http://www.bgc.bard.edu/research/this_week/twixt_art.shtml

I am signing up for this and think that those people I met at the embroidery session I attended would enjoy it immensely. I am particualarly impressed that Susan Vincent, author of Dressing the Elite, a book I actually bought at the Plimoth Plantation bookstore on my visit, on the advice of others, will be speaking. I have been working my way through this book and it is excellent. I am looking forward to hearing Ms. Vincent speak as well as the other speakers, all of whom sound fascinating to those of us interested in historical embroidery.
    Devon Thein

7. It really is looking so beautiful. Thanks so much for all the inspiration that this project is providing to stitchers around the world.

8. sharonb says:

Work like this just makes me drool all over the key board and I get the urge to stitch. Just wonderful and thanks for sharing

9. Mckim says:

Hey, just reading…thought I’d show theres interest!

~Steve…